Mutt-NG - Intro
"All mailers suck - but mutt sucks less."
Mutt sucks less - but it still sucks!
mutt has been improved a lot at a fast rate -
but that was almost some 10 years ago.
mutt development had stalled for two years
even though there had been many patches.
and this sucks.
now there's been a fork and there
is some development happening again..
Mutt-NG - History
ON 2005-01-11? Andreas Krennmair (aka AK) forked mutt
and he named it "mutt next generation" aka "mutt-ng".
Mutt-NG - What's new so far?
- display of format=flowed fixed
- attribution - use sender's initials with %I
- configurable MIDs - for automated recognition of own messages and replies to them
- configurable umask - for creating files with your favourite permissions
- purge+trash - move messages to a trash folder - before *really* deleting them with "purge"
- signoff string - adds your name and greeting before the signature (from slrn)
- source command has been extended to take a *list* of filenames
- support for compressed folders
- thread editing - fix broken threads or separate subthread
- re-use of last used directory when saving attachments
- IMAP - automated reconnects after server went away + header caching
- SMTP - for those who don't want to set up a huge MTA
- NTTP - for reading newsgroups from a usenet news server
- sidebar - for display of folders and newsgroups
Mutt-NG - What's Next?
- yet another bug tracking system
- more documentation
- a roadmap
- a domain
- update on the vim syntax file
- fixing old bugs (also in docs)
- improving the coding style (eg indentation)
- reduce clutter on urls
- make mutt-ng suck less than mutt. :-)
Mutt-NG - How to Help
- write patches for features
- check in to check it out
- add docs with examples
- add info to the wiki
- test it
- *use* it
Mutt-NG - Links
mailing lists: mutt-ng-devel + mutt-ng-user
bug reports + feature requests + patches upload:
Debian: http://people.debian.org/~nobse/packages/mutt-ng/ (2005-04-06: timeout)
maintained by Elimar Riesebieter mutt-ng(at)lxtec.de
blog with rss feed:
Mutt-NG - Articles + Docs
fork von mutt gestartet
Linux Magazine interviews AK:
"Mutt--The Next Generation" by Kyle Rankin
Mutt-NG - People + Events
Andreas Krennmair (AK) [Linz, Austria]:
Nico "nion" Golde (NG) [Berlin, Germany]:
documentation, code patches
Sven Guckes (SG) [Berlin, Germany]:
public relations and talks
structure of website
Christian "strcat" Schneider (CS) [Regensburg, Germany]:
wiki. screenshots and late night
session before fosdem talk.
testing and patches:
Michael "mikap" Prokop (MP) [Graz, Austria]
Rocco Rutte (RR) [Berlin, Germany]
Mutt-NG - Events
where we shall be in the near future:
March 5+ 6 Chemnitz: AK- MP! NG! SG!
March 25-28 EasterHegg: AK? MP? NG? SG!
June 22-25 LinuxTag: AK! MP? NG? SG!
(summer) mutt+slrn: BugFest+ThinkTank