LICENSE TO POST
by Sven Guckes
Do you know the name and version of these "programs"?
- operating system (OS)?
- ftp client?
- web browser?
- Can you create an alias for a command?
- Can you write a small script with
a loop, a pipe, and a redirection?
Editor - Basic Commands - Jumps+Search:
- Jump by words, sentences, and paragraphs?
- Jump to line number?
- Jump to the very end of the text?
- Search for strings?
- Search for regular expression?
Editor - Copy+Deletion:
- Mark text visually? From/to position? Linewise? Rectangular blocks?
- Copy/Delete words, sentences, and paragraphs?
Editor - Features:
- Unlimited Undo? Redo?
- Prefix completion?
- Search+Replace (regex)?
- Editing of multiple files?
- Split windows?
- EOL support (Mac, Unix, Windows)
- TAB expansion
Editor - Editing Skills:
- Can you quickly remove 23 lines?
- Does your editor allow to delete
everything from the current line
unto the very end of the text?
- Do you know how to search
for a text pattern (regex)?
- Does your editor allow to undo
all commands from the start?
- Do you know how to edit quoted
text and summarize it, too?
- Can you easily copy a paragraph or sentence
and also move it to another part of the text?
Email - creating a new email:
- Do you say "hello" at the start?
- Do you know how to create a signature?
- Do you know what signature dashes are?
- Do you know the recommended limits
for line lengths and signature size?
- Can you send an email from the command line -
and add a file as an attachment, too?
- Do you send large amounts of data as attachments?
Email - answering emails (replies):
- How do you you quote text?
- Can you reformat quoted text - and preserve the quote levels?
- Does your mailer break long lines automatically
*and* preserve the quote level, too?
- Do you quote the signature?
- Do you reply above or below the quoted text?
Emails - on mailing lists:
- Can you reply to the mailing list *only* -
without CCing other recipients?
- Do you set a "vacation" notice for the time you are away?
- Does your vacation program know about your mailing lists?
News - setup of newsreader:
- Do you post with your full realname?
- Do you post with a valid email address?
- Can your newsreader display discussions in threads?
- Does your nwesreader allow automatic selections
with a "killfile" or by "scoring"?
- Why should you set a Reply-To line?
News - Basic Knowledge:
- What is crossposting?
- What does Followup-To mean?
- Explain the abbreviations RFD, CFV, and TOFU.
- What is a newsgroup charter - and where can you find it?
- When would you reply by email instead
of following up within the newsgroup?
- When do you set a Mail-Followup-To line?
- Name three difference between News and Usenet.
- Do you know how to cancel your posts?
Managing Received Messages
- What is Spam? What is UCE?
- Do you use a mail filter?
- Do you use a mail filter?
Give a definition of these terms:
What are the differences between..
- ..Email vs News?
- ..HTTP and FTP?
- ..WWW and the Internet?
Links to various Online-Tests maybe..